Andray Blatche announces his return to Gilas Pilipinas

first_imgMANILA, Philippines—The Philippines will likely head into the final window of the Fiba World Cup Asian Qualifiers with its full force after naturalized center Andray Blatche announced that he’s back in the fold.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. No.13 lucky for Orlando Bloom MOST READ In an announcement made through Theia Sports, h/t to Fiba, Blatche said he’ll rejoin Gilas Pilipinas for their final two games of the tournament against Qatar and Kazakhstan.“It’s confirmed! I’ll be back to play for the Philippines in February!” announced Blatche. “Can’t wait to win these two games for the best fans in the world!”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissThe Philippines is in a precarious spot in Group F, holding on to fourth place a 5-5 record. Top three teams and the better of the fourth seeds from Groups E and F will advance to the 2019 Fiba Basketball World Cup.Gilas are in a must-win situation to give them a better chance of advancing to their second straight World Cup. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college After winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folk Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil The former Brooklyn Net is returning from a three-game ban after figuring in the ugly brawl between the Philippines and Australia last July 2 at Philippine Arena where a total of 13 players from both countries got suspended.He was left off the roster of new coach Yeng Guiao last month.Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Al Panlilio said the 6-foot-11 big man is willing to put in the early work before the window starts in late February.“He sent us word of his commitment for the next window,” said Panlilio. “In fact, he’s willing to come in early to get in top shape and to work with coach Yeng Guiao and understand his system.”Blatche, who averaged 11.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, and 2.2 blocks, was eligible to play for Gilas in the game against Iran but in the previous window but Guiao opted for Fil-German Christian Standhardinger as the naturalized player.ADVERTISEMENT Orlando Magic snap 4-game losing skid with rout of Toronto Raptors Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew ‘Mia’: Rom-com with a cause a career-boosting showcase for Coleen Garcia Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentslast_img read more

Overcrowding of Lady Northcote

first_imgDear Editor,As a concerned resident who traverses on the Lady Northcote from the North West District to Georgetown, I would like to say that I am surprised at the unmannerly behaviour of the staff on the morning of Monday, September 24, 2018, especially some of the security. I think Amerindians have been treated with disrespect.My second point is the overcrowding of the boat. The boat is being overloaded with passengers and cargo, making many passengers uncomfortable. What I want the public to know is that persons are paying their fee to have a comfortable ride, and still have to pay the same amount even in an overcrowded boat. I really think that the number of passengers should be limited to an amount the boat is designed to carry. I am asking for an intervention from the media and suggest that something be done urgently to ensure passengers are comfortable.Sincerely,Lee FrancisRegion One(Barima-Waini)last_img read more

Taylor Speedway seeking curfew extension

first_imgTAYLOR, B.C. – The Taylor Speedway is asking District of Taylor Council to extend the current curfew hours.Currently, the curfew, in accordance with the District’s noise by-laws, is set at 10:00 p.m. The speedway is requesting to have the curfew extended by one hour to 11:00 p.m.According to the Speedway, they see more race fans show up when a race is held at night than during the day.- Advertisement -“We are asking the council that our curfew be extended to 11.pm. from the current curfew of 10 p.m. We had night racing on our August long weekend event this year and there was approximately 50 more race fans on these two nights compared to our day racing. Night time racing also will help keep the dust to a minimum.”The Club is also installing lights in preparation for night racing on Friday and Saturday nights.Before making further changes, the Council has decided to run some tests and review the curfew by-law late next summer.Advertisementlast_img read more

Ooks 16th at Provincials

first_imgIn the championship final, the third ranked Handsworth (North Van) beat #4 Earl Marriott (Surrey) 3 sets to 2. Thanks to Karen Cranston for her updates and contributions. The North Peace Secondary School Ookapiks Volleyball team placed 16th at the provincial volleyball championships. The girls lost to Kelowna and East Vancouver’s Gladstone on Thursday, and then beat Surrey’s Johnston Heights. On Friday morning, they lost a five-set match against Burnaby Central, which dropped them into the consolation side of the draw. – Advertisement -In the next round, the Ooks lost to Penn High and suffered another defeat to Gladstone, sending them into the 15/16th place match against McRoberts, from Richmond. The NPSS squad continued to battle hard, despite the disappointing finish, but dropped the match 14-25, 23-25, to finish 16th.Kaitlyn Farwell was named the Ookapiks most excellent player at the tournament. Advertisementlast_img read more

Southampton striker set to join Wolves on loan

first_imgSouthampton striker Emmanuel Mayuka is poised to leave St. Mary’s and drop down a division to join Wolves on loan.Boss Kenny Jackett has identified the Zambia international, 23, as an option to bolster the attacking ranks at Molineux and Wolves’ Championship promotion push.Reports suggest Mayuka is available and Saints manager Ronald Koeman is keen for the pacy forward, who signed for the South Coast club from BSC Young Boys two years ago, to secure regular first team football.With the transfer window additions of Shane Long and Graziano Pelle plus the imminent return of Jay Rodriguez from long-term injury, Southampton have strength in depth across their forward line.Mayuka, who scored his first goal for Southampton in a 5-1 victory over Barnsley in the Capital One Cup last year, spent last season on loan at Ligue 1 outfit Sochaux. Emmanuel Mayuka 1last_img read more

TWIN TOWNS AND RAPHOE HIT AGAIN IN WATER DISRUPTIONS

first_imgWATER SUPPLIES have returned to normal in most of Donegal tonight – except in the east of the county where overnight switch-offs are continuing this Monday night.Donegal County Council today (MON) announced that water supplies will be restricted between 6pm this evening and 8am tomorrow morning in the following areas: Convoy, Castlefin, Raphoe, Lifford, Ballinacor, Tievebrack and Gleneely.In Ballybofey and Stranorlar the supply will also be turned off to the Twin Towns from midnight until 8.00am each night. A council spokesman said “The important message here is that we wish to continue our appeal to the public to help eliminate wastage and conserve water we are seeking key holders of all types of properties where water may be lost to return and check for losses.“The Council is very actively involved throughout the county responding to bursts on watermains, however the sooner we get that level of buy-in from the public the sooner we can reduce the exceptional demand for water and return to normality,” he said. TWIN TOWNS AND RAPHOE HIT AGAIN IN WATER DISRUPTIONS was last modified: January 3rd, 2011 by gregShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

LITTLE ANGELS FIRST IN THE WORLD TO BE DESIGNATED A ‘CHANGEMAKER SCHOOL’

first_imgLittle Angels School has been recognised as a Changemaker School.They are now one of only twelve schools in all of Ireland to have received this prestigious award out of two hundred and fifty world-wide.They are also the first and only special school to become a Changemaker school. They were described as being a “lighthouse and beacon for the education of people with special needs.”The Changemaker Schools Programme and process are part of Ashoka Ireland, whose team members include; Emily Logan, Chief Commissioner of Irish Human Rights & Equality for Ireland, Daire Keogh, President of St. Patrick’s Teacher Training College and Bride Rosney, Secretary to the Mary Robinson Foundation for Climate Justice.Principal of Little Angels School, Ms Angela Keane, said that they were very proud to have won this award.Ashoka Ireland promotes the benefits of digital technologies in improving society, helping disconnected or underrepresented groups of people to gain better access to technology. More information on Changemaker Schools can be found at www.ashoka.ie/changemaker-schools. LITTLE ANGELS FIRST IN THE WORLD TO BE DESIGNATED A ‘CHANGEMAKER SCHOOL’ was last modified: June 8th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Changemaker SchoolletterkennyLittle Angels Schoollast_img read more

SIR GERRY ROBINSON: ‘I WOULDN’T HAVE MOVED BACK TO DONEGAL IF I’D KNOWN TAXES WERE SO HIGH’

first_imgBUSINESS guru Sir Gerry Robinson has admitted he wouldn’t move back to Donegal from the UK if he was doing it today – because of the high taxes here.The Donegal-born businessman, a former boss at Granada and a TV business advisor, appeared on last night’s edition of RTE’s Prime Time.He and Eddie Hobbs found themselves going head-to-head with union officials on the collapse of the Croke Park II Agreement. Union members yesterday voted down the deal – which means the Government may now implement a 7% pay cut for all public sector workers in a bid to save €300M this year.Dunfanaghy-born Sir Gerry, who set up home in Raphoe more than 15 years ago after a glittering business career, said that governments were ‘useless’ when it came to examining the spending of the State.He said he found when he was doing a BBC programme on the British National Health Service that staff were employed to collect data that was never used – and never intended for use.Referring to the €300M, Sir Gerry told Pat Kenny: “It’s a shame (Croke Park No vote) because there has been a lot that has happened in Ireland which has been good. “The debt that Ireland is accumulating is enormous and the idea that you can somehow buy yourself out of that problem by creating a false economy – what have we learned?“That’s precisely what we did before. And it’s precisely why we are in the position we are in now.“You have to have real money; you have to have costs under control.”He said if wages were too high in the public sector then it needed to be addressed.“But you cannot address it in one go,” said Sir Gerry. “It has to be addressed over a period of time. Governments are just lousy at finding real savings. €300M sounds like a lot of money but in the context of things it really isn’t.“There has got to be hundreds of ways where we are doing things in Government that frankly don’t contribute anything.”Pat Kenny asked the Donegal man if there was a better way then for saving money.“Governments are not very good at looking at the fundamentals – like asking do we need to do that?,” said Sir Gerry. He gave the British NHS example of millions of pounds being wasted there with people employed doing things that weren’t needed.“It is that kind of saving that governments need to look at and we need to do that here over a long period of time,” said Sir Gerry.The Donegal man said he was delighted with a member of the firefighters union who had proposed cuts to management to help make savings.Ireland has 60 fire chiefs and 370 assistant fire chiefs. The North has one fire chief and four assistants.“That is precisely what should happen,” said Sir Gerry at the suggestion of the involvement of workers.“You always find the best solutions to doing things more effectively, more cheaply and more energetically if you actually manage to get the people at the sharp end involved in the process.”Eddie Hobbs rejected the idea that there should be more taxes.Sir Gerry said: “I moved back to Ireland 15 years ago and I am now paying at least two and a half times the tax I was paying back then.“And I have to tell you if I was having to make the decision about living in Ireland now – as opposed to then – I wouldn’t live in Ireland.“So the idea that you pick out a few people and beat the living daylights out of them and that is going to cure the economic problem is just not true. It’s tempting – but it’s just not true.”SIR GERRY ROBINSON: ‘I WOULDN’T HAVE MOVED BACK TO DONEGAL IF I’D KNOWN TAXES WERE SO HIGH’ was last modified: April 17th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:SIR GERRY ROBINSON: ‘I WOULDN’T HAVE MOVED BACK TO DONEGAL IF I KNEW TAXES WERE SO HIGH’last_img read more

DONEGAL CRIME SPREE TO BE RAISED IN THE DAIL

first_imgDonegal Sinn Féin TD, Pádraig Mac Lochlainn will raise the growing concerns of communities across Donegal about crime with the Minister for Justice, Alan Shatter.Padraig Mac LochlainnDeputy Mac Lochlainn will establish if the Minister is aware of the recent public meeting in Manorcunningham attended by over 1500 people and what he intends to do to address their concerns, particularly around the ongoing attacks on the elderly.He said “Minister Shatter needs to listen to the concerns of the people of Donegal. He also needs to listen to grassroots gardaí at the front line in Donegal who have repeatedly raised their concerns about the cuts to garda numbers and vehicles in the county. “It has been proven again and again that when the gardaí are resourced and supported with intelligence from our communities, they will defeat the criminals and bring them to justice.”He said his party published the outcome of a survey on crime his party members conducted at 500 homes in the county.Among the key findings were:Just under a third (31%) of persons polled were victims of crime or anti / social behaviour within the last five years. 59% of persons polled believe that there is a serious problem with crime and anti-social behaviour within their community.59% of persons polled believe that the level of crime and anti-social behaviour has risen over the past five years.50% of persons polled believe that the Garda presence in their community has markedly decreased over the past five years.79% of persons polled would like to see an increase in Garda patrols.80% of persons polled either do not have, or are not aware of a community alert / neighbourhood watch scheme in their local area. 86% of persons polled would like to play a greater role in assisting the Gardaí in policing their local area.“We submitted this survey to the Minister and unfortunately, he has not learned the lessons and engaged with our recommendations.“I am now calling on the Minister to deploy the necessary resources and personnel to An Garda Síochána in the county, to ensure that Community Alert and Neighbourhood Watch schemes are revitalised and adequately resourced and to ensure that all elderly people with limited financial resources are supported to have security alert systems in their homes”.DONEGAL CRIME SPREE TO BE RAISED IN THE DAIL was last modified: February 19th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:crimeDeputy Padraig MacLochlainndonegallast_img read more

Raiders crash to earth in blowout loss to Jets

first_imgThe Raiders returned to earth with a thud Sunday, getting decisively outplayed in every way possible in a 34-3 loss to the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.Coming in on a high with a three-game home win streak, the Raiders will regroup with a 6-5 record and prepare to face the AFC West-leading Kansas City Chiefs (7-4) on next Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium.Jets quarterback Sam Darnold, getting plenty of … Click here if you’re unable to view the photo gallery on your mobile device.last_img read more