Archers, Tams brawl again in preseason, this time in Davao City

first_imgWATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding View comments A video uploaded on Twitter by FEU athletic director Mark Molina saw La Salle forward Prince Rivero giving a back pick on FEU player Ken Ebonia, who fell on the floor upon contact.La Salle center Abu Tratter jumped in front of the fallen Ebonia while teammate Ricci Rivero slammed the ball at the FEU player, before following it up with a punt kick as another free-for-all ensued.“The second commotion which happened on the very next play after the first commotion is plain and simple, a planned and premeditated attack,” said the FEU official on his Twitter account.La Salle coach Aldin Ayo was seen in videos trying to pacify the players. But Ryan Betia, an assistant of new coach Olsen Racela at FEU, claimed that the Archers mentor choked FEU player Arvin Tolentino trying to act as a pacifier.UAAP basketball commissioner Rebo Saguisag said he will look into the incident, which marked the second time in as many years that the two teams have figured in a preseason scuffle.ADVERTISEMENT LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short program The UAAP Season 80 game between La Salle and Far Eastern U on Sept. 10 could just be the most anticipated game of the tournament yet.The two teams figured in an ugly free-for-all in an invitational tournament in Davao City late Friday night.ADVERTISEMENT Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Eyewitnesses said the match had been heated for the most part, before two brawls ensued—the second of which forced organizers to call off the game.The first commotion ensued in the third quarter with FEU leading, 73-59. FEU’s Ken Tuffin bumped La Salle guard Kib Montalbo, who retaliated with a head butt.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutRon Dennison, who was earlier ejected for two unsportsmanlike fouls, then came out of nowhere to hit Montalbo, who had his back turned to the FEU player, sending the La Salle guard sprawling to the floor.The second incident that led to the game forfeiture came just after play resumed. UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMCcenter_img Read Next SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief LATEST STORIES Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses MOST READ “It happened outside the UAAP so we can’t really act on it in relation to the tournament,” said Saguisag. “But they still represent their schools and the league so it may be up to the UAAP Board to discuss.” Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Vanguardia rues Rice’s 3rd quarter explosion in Phoenix loss to TNT For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity.last_img read more

Ginebra acquires dela Cruz from Blackwater‬

first_imgView comments PBA IMAGESThe rich get richer as Ginebra acquired the services of hardworking sophomore Art dela Cruz from Blackwater.‬The deal, which is set to be approved this Thursday afternoon, will send dela Cruz and Raymond Aguilar to the Elite in exchange for ‬Chris Ellis and Dave Marcelo from the Gin Kings.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Ellis has been averaging 3.0 points, 3.4 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in 13.12 minutes this conference for Ginebra. Malaysia dismiss judging concerns as SEA Games close Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:21‘Bato’ says Robredo has to toughen up: ‘This is war…hindi ka pwedeng pa-cute cute dito’01:38‘Bato’ to be ‘most effective’ CHR head? It’s for public to decide – Gascon01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games MOST READ SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Read Nextcenter_img Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Both Ginebra team manager Reyboy Rodriguez and Blackwater team manager Johnson Martines confirmed the trade.Dela Cruz has averaged 12.3 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.7 steals in his second year in the league, but missed the import-laden conferences due to his ruptured Achilles injury after being selected to be a part of the Gilas Pilipinas pool.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutHis entry to Ginebra will be a shot in the arm for the squad, which is betting on its youth with Scottie Thompson, Kevin Ferrer, and Aljon Mariano in tow. Blackwater, meanwhile, will receive serviceable forward Marcelo and the high-flying Ellis, who is looking to get the biggest break of his career with his new team. WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspensionlast_img read more

Nadal credits passion and overcoming injuries for success

first_imgFrontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Men’s winners included fifth-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut, Mischa Zverev, Steve Darcis, Fabio Fognini and Aljaz Bedene. How sports can influence kids according to Alyssa Valdez View comments Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City In the first round on Monday, top-ranked Garbine Muguruza retired from her opening match with a cold.Muguruza dropped the first set 6-2 and was trailing 2-0 against Barbora Strycova when she decided to stop.“I couldn’t perform today,” said the Spaniard, who said she picked up a virus at the Wuhan Open last week but wanted to try to play despite her illness. “I don’t want to retire before the tournament starts for me.”Also, U.S. Open champion Sloane Stephens was beaten by Christina McHale 6-3, 6-0.“It was a tough day,” Stephens said. “There’s not really much to say about. Obviously not a great match, so just forget about it and try to move on.”In other women’s matches, former No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki beat Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova 6-2, 6-2, while Peng Shuai, Elena Vesnina, Elise Mertens, Coco Vandeweghe and Alize Cornet also won.ADVERTISEMENT Rafael Nadal, of Spain, reacts after beating Kevin Anderson, of South Africa, to win the men’s singles final of the U.S. Open tennis tournament, Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017, in New York. The two are currently ranked 1-2. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)BEIJING — Passion, and overcoming injuries, are the key to Rafael Nadal’s recent success.The top-ranked Spaniard won the French Open and the U.S. Open this year, and reclaimed the No. 1 spot from Andy Murray. His next event is the China Open.ADVERTISEMENT BSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I had some injuries, but good thing is I keep having the passion for the game and the love for what I am doing and the spirit of overcome tough situations in terms of physical issues,” the Spaniard said. “Of course, the spirit of improvement: every day when I wake up, going on court with the goal of doing something better than what I was doing.”Nadal will open against Lucas Pouille on Tuesday at the China Open. The Frenchman beat Nadal in their previous meeting last year.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutNadal is 56-9 this season. He leads the tour with five ATP singles titles and will be trying to add this year’s China Open title to the one he took home as a teenager in 2005.Nadal has made the tournament’s final in three of his six earlier appearances and has a 20-5 record in Beijing. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Read Next MOST READlast_img read more

Celtics guard Marcus Smart injures hand hitting picture frame

first_imgSlow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises The Celtics said Smart returned to Boston after the injury to his right hand “from a non-basketball incident” before Wednesday night’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers.Smart says he will learn from it and come back better.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSmart is averaging 10 points and a career-high 4.7 assists this season, his fourth in Boston. He missed a potential winning shot against the Lakers on Tuesday night, then did not play against the Clippers on Wednesday. John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding LATEST STORIES Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Sanchez sets up 2 goals on Man United debut in FA Cup win Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Kyrie Irving #11, Marcus Smart #36 and Jayson Tatum #0 of the Boston Celtics get back on defense after during a 108-107 Los Angeles Lakers win at Staples Center on January 23, 2018 in Los Angeles, California. Harry How/Getty Images/AFPBOSTON — Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart will miss about two weeks after cutting his right hand hitting a picture frame.Smart apologized to his teammates, coaches and fans on Twitter on Friday afternoon, saying, “I feel like I let all y’all down.”ADVERTISEMENT Read Next MOST READ Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH View commentslast_img read more

Perpetual Help nears Final Four, extends Mapua’s slide

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netUniversity of Perpetual Help steamrolled Mapua, 25-18, 25-23, 25-12, to move closer to a Final Four berth in the NCAA Season 93 women’s volleyball tournament Tuesday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.Maria Aurora Tripoli, Maria Lourdes Clemente and Jowie Versoza scored 11 points each for the Lady Altas, who upped their mark to 5-2 and stay in third place behind defending champion Arellano University and second-running San Beda.After the Lady Cardinals put up a gallant stand in the second set, the Lady Altas left nothing to chance and went for the kill in the third set.Perpetual Help, which bounced back after dropping a five-setter to Arellano last week, is primed to make a return trip to the semifinals after falling short last season.Dianne Latayan had 10 points and was the lone bright spot for Mapua, which reeled to its 17th consecutive defeat dating back to Season 92.ADVERTISEMENT Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Read Next FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencers 2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa UAAP volleyball: FEU return delayed as Vargas suffers muscle strain PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd PLAY LIST 02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH MOST READ LATEST STORIES View commentslast_img read more

Pelicans bringing back forward Cunningham

first_imgSports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Winter storm threatens to scramble Thanksgiving travel plans Dante Cunningham. APA person familiar with the situation says the New Orleans Pelicans and forward Dante Cunningham have agreed on a one-year contract worth $2.3 million.The person spoke to The Associated Press on Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the agreement, which was first reported by Yahoo, has not been announced.ADVERTISEMENT Man testifies in trial over NBA players assault Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games No more menthol cigarettes: New ban on tobacco, vape flavors Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim MOST READ Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims READ: Pelicans add free agent Tony AllenThe 6-foot-8 Cunningham spent the past three seasons in New Orleans, where he averaged 6.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in about 25 minutes per game last season.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingThe 30-year-old Cunningham has spent eight seasons in the NBA, beginning with Portland, which selected him in the second round of the 2009 draft out of Villanova.Cunningham could start for New Orleans at small forward in a lineup that would feature DeMarcus Cousins at center, Anthony Davis at power forward, Rajon Rondo at point guard and Jrue Holiday at shooting guard. Argentine bishop appears at court hearing on abuse charges Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Trump to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist groups LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View commentslast_img read more

Aussie team doctor warns athletes of dengue at CWG

first_imgThe medical director of the Australia’s CWG team Dr Peter Harcourt says at least a couple of athletes would catch the dengue fever during the Commonwealth Games in New Delhi.The deadly fever has claimed many lives in the host city. Health remains a concern for international athletes and many of them have pulled out of the sporting event only due to this reason.British diver Peter Waterfield is the latest athlete who withdrew from the Games citing health concerns.Harcourt hoped the number dengue cases was below than the Kuala Lumpur Games, where six or seven caught the fever.”I’m assuming I’ll get a couple of cases and I’m hoping that’s all there is,” Harcourt quoted as saying by the ‘Age’.Heavy rains in the past few days has added to the woes of the organisers as the basements at the Games Village are still waterlogged.An under-construction overbridge also collapsed just outside the main venue Jawahar Lal Nehru stadium.Delhi’s Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit yesterday said it was a bit difficult to dry up the water-logged basements.CGF chief Mike Fennell also said today the waterlogging remains a concern for them.Olympic silver-medallist swimmer Eamon Sullivan said the Aussie athletes are well-prepared to deal witb the dengue threat in in the Indian capital.”I think everyone seems to be forgetting about the mosquitoes, that’s going to be a very interesting one, you definitely have to take precautions,” Sullivan told reporters in Sydney.”We’ve got mosquito nets, we’ve got mosquito repellent, we’ve got long sleeve clothes, we’ve got wash that puts repellent on your clothes, we’ve got hand sanitizer, we’ve got the works,” he said.advertisementThe Australian contingent today headed to Kuala Lumpur for a pre-Games camp before landing in Delhi on Wednesday.last_img read more